37.8 Writing scientifically: Results
The Results summarise what was found from the data: The Results section:
- Shows all the relevant findings from the research.
- Presents a summary of the data set: the number of cases, the number of missing values, and a verbal description of all variables. Unless the data set is small, the data itself is usually not given. (Sometimes, the data may be presented in an Appendix, or in an online supplement.)
- Presents tabular, numerical and/or graphical summary of the data and relationships of importance.
- Gives a brief verbal interpretation of these summaries.
- Gives the results from any hypothesis tests and confidence intervals.
- Identifies trends, consistencies, anomalies etc.
- Does not contain an interpretation or explanation of the results of the tests (that is the purpose of the Discussion).