9.1 Quick revision
We recommend trying these Quick revision questions before your tutorial.
- Hypothesis tests are used to prove or disprove the null hypothesis.
True or false?
- Hypothesis are always written in terms of population parameters. True or false?
- Alternative hypotheses may be one- or two-tailed, depending on the data. True or false?
- FALSE. Hypothesis testing does not prove anything. In loose terms, it quantifies how much evidence there is in the sample to support the alternative hypothesis.
- TRUE. Hypothesis are always about the unknown population parameters.
- FALSE. Alternative hypotheses may be one- or two-tailed, but it does not depend on the data; it depends on the RQ.