How this book was made
- The diagrams were made in base R, or using the diagram package (Soetaert 2017).
- The kableExtra package was used for nicer tables (Zhu 2018).
- The map in Sect. 2.6 (interactive in the online version) is made using the leaflet package (Cheng et al. 2018).
- Some data tables in the online version are displayed using the DT package (Xie et al. 2018).
- Some plots use the plotrix package (Lemon 2006).
- The NHANES data is provided by the NHANES package (Pruim 2015).
- Some data are from the GLMsData package (Dunn and Smyth 2017).
- The viridis package is used for some colour specifications (Garnier 2018) to make colours easier for those with colour-blindess to distinguish colours, and for better greyscale printing.
- The webex package was used to create the interactive web exercises (Barr and DeBruine 2021).
All of this software is free and open source.
Other resources used include:
- The online quizzes are embedded using H5P iframes.
- Icons are from iconmonstr and are freely available.
- The text folding (in the online version) was implemented by adapting advice from StackOverflow.
- The polling in the online book is provided by Ferendum.
- The cover for the book was made using a free image with Canva.
Barr D, DeBruine L. Webexercises: Create interactive web exercises in ’r markdown’ (formerly ’webex’) [Internet]. 2021. Available from: https://github.com/psyteachr/webexercises.
Dunn PK, Smyth GK. GLMsData: Generalized linear model data sets [Internet]. 2017. Available from: https://CRAN.R-project.org/package=GLMsData.
Garnier S. viridis: Default color maps from ’matplotlib’ [Internet]. 2018. Available from: https://CRAN.R-project.org/package=viridis.
Lemon J. plotrix: A package in the red light district of r. R-News. 2006;6(4):8–12.
Pruim R. NHANES: Data from the US National Health and Nutrition Examination Study [Internet]. 2015. Available from: https://CRAN.R-project.org/package=NHANES.
R Core Team. R: A language and environment for statistical computing [Internet]. Vienna, Austria: R Foundation for Statistical Computing; 2018. Available from: https://www.R-project.org/.
Soetaert K. Diagram: Functions for visualising simple graphs (networks), plotting flow diagrams [Internet]. 2017. Available from: https://CRAN.R-project.org/package=diagram.
Xie Y. Dynamic documents with R and knitr [Internet]. 2nd ed. Boca Raton, Florida: Chapman; Hall/CRC; 2015. Available from: https://yihui.name/knitr/.
Xie Y. Bookdown: Authoring books and technical documents with R markdown [Internet]. Boca Raton, Florida: Chapman; Hall/CRC; 2016. Available from: https://github.com/rstudio/bookdown.
Zhu H. kableExtra: Construct complex table with ’kable’ and pipe syntax [Internet]. 2018. Available from: https://CRAN.R-project.org/package=kableExtra.