3.5 Scenarios, planned and realized measurements
- Any phenomenon/variable has a trajectory over time
- We have more or less observations of that trajectory
- Generally, the more observations the better
- Scenario: How variable develops over time (P. C. Bauer 2016) (blue line)
- Planned measurements: Timing of planned measurements (blue points)
- Realized measurement: Timing of actual measurements (blue points)
- Q: What is the problem with the following measures (think of time/change)?
- What is the highest level of education you have successfully completed?
- Have you been insulted or threatened verbally since (month, year)?
- Q: Can you think of some data where we might almost observe a continuous function across time?
- Insight: Ideally, we know when a variable changes.
Bauer, Paul C. 2016. “The Visual Display of Causal Relationships.”