1.16 CSS: Challenges
- Skills: Need advanced and new skills for capturing, collecting, storing, manipulating and analyzing often un/semi-structured big datasets
- e.g. interacting with APIs, machine learning, social network analysis
- Social scientists vs. computer scientists
- Computer scientists dominate field of big social data but often lack the theoretical background to come up with interesting questions
- Computer scientists often lack training in research methodology
- Big data requires same standards as “small” data (Grimmer 2015)
- Careful research design, sampling strategy, measurement etc.
- Independence: Dependence on big companies dangerous..
- Many others.. garbage in & garbage out etc.
- Q: What are other challenges?
Grimmer, Justin. 2015. “We Are All Social Scientists Now: How Big Data, Machine Learning, and Causal Inference Work Together.” PS Polit. Sci. Polit. 48 (1): 80–83.