This module aims to develop your knowledge and understanding of reviewing academic literature, including the searching for and identification of relevant articles from academic databases, navigating and extracting relevant information from journal articles, and formulating an academic discussion which syntheses the information gained from this process. These skills will prepare you for written assessments across your degree program and for life beyond university.
The learning outcomes for this module are:
- demonstrate knowledge and understanding in the retrieval of academic literature on a topic within the field of sports and exercise/therapy
- evaluate and interpret the extraction of information from the academic literature on a topic within the field of sports and exercise/therapy
- communicate the findings of the review on a topic within the field of sports and exercise/therapy
The learning outcomes for this module will be assessed with a 2000 word coursework. During the seminars you will be planning and conducting a review of the literature as a group. You will be required to write up the findings of this review in accordance with good reporting practices.
- You will need to identify a minimum of ten journal articles relevant to your topic (provided to you by your seminar tutor).
- You will then extract the relevant information from these articles into a ‘characteristics of studies’ table, which should be included as an appendix to your literature review submission.
- Using the ‘characteristics of studies’ table, formulate a discussion which gives the reader an overview of the findings from your literature search.