Chapter 7 Test
1. Describe the environmental management challenge case associated with this topic and publication. In the summary, please ensure that you cover the following:
- link the basic science to the management (i.e. explain what the authors tested & measured and then how this can relate to management),
- highlight the extent (i.e. explain if it is a global, regional, or local issue and why), and
- propose the implication of ignoring this issue.
total = 10 points.
2. Describe why this is not an environmental management challenge – i.e. play the ‘devil’s advocate’ because we know this happens all the time or more fairly every environmental issue is a balance between direct and indirect benefits from a natural system. Do not use fallacious arguments or ad hominem to do this. Use the following lines of argument:
- list 2 critical limitations of the study (or what viable improvements are needed),
- highlight the direct needs of people for the system/idea/issue and explain,
- explain a ‘hope for the best’ strategy that maximizes direct benefit to humans and propose an argument for the resilience/recovery/buffering of the system without a big change (i.e. business as usual model).
total = 10 points.
3. Reverse engineer a general, replicable solution to this challenge.
- list solutions beginning with the most evident in descending relevance order,
- propose and explain the replicable solution that is most relevant based on research,
- cite the research you did to design your replicable solution by providing the citation to two solution papers and include just a single sentence for each explaining why you selected that paper as evidence.
total = 20 points.
- Write in full sentences, no more than 1 page per answer.
- Total of 3 pages :).
- Include your name, surname, and student ID at the top of each page.
- Work in your preferred text editor, but you must submit responses as a single file in PDF format only to turnitin.com. Class ID and key provided in the official course outline.
|1||Q1a basic science||explain what was tested and measured||4|
|2||Q1a basic science||explain how this study relates to environmental management||2|
|3||Q1b extent||explain extent - global regional local and WHY||2|
|4||Q1c ignorance is bliss||propose implication of ignoring issue altogether and not managing||2|
|5||Q2a limitations||list 2 scientific limitations of study||4|
|6||Q2b direct needs||explain what people need from this system directly||2|
|7||Q2c strategy||propose a hope for best minimal management strategy for challenge||4|
|8||Q3a solutions||list at least 3 big picture reproducible solutions or tools and explain how each can be applied to this challenge||6|
|9||Q3b top solution||explain the top solution or tool to challenge based on your research i.e. at least one other paper||10|
|10||Q3c citations||cite at least 2 recent relevant papers - 1-2 solution or tool paper and 1 similar challenge paper in addition to the papers provided||4|
|11||total||sum of above||40|