3.20 ToDG: Design is choice
- Tufte (2001, 2:191)’s epilogue to his classic
- The theory of the visual display of quantitative information = principles that generate design options and that guide choices among options
- Principles should not be applied rigidly
- Better to violate any principle than to place graceless or inelegant marks on paper
- Greet principles with skepticism
- Search for clear portrayal of complexity. Not the complication of the simple
Tufte, Edward R. 2001. The Visual Display of Quantitative Information. Vol. 2. Graphics press Cheshire, CT.