3.5 Principals of graphical excellence
- Graphical excellence… (Tufte 2001, Chapter 1, 51)
- …is the well-designed presentation of interesting data - a matter of substance, of statistics, and of design.
- …consists of complex ideas communicated with clarity, precision, and efficiency.
- …is that which gives to the viewer the greatest number of ideas in the shortest time with the least ink in the smallest space.
- …is nearly always multivariate.
- …requires telling the truth about the data.
- Q: Do your plots reflect these ideas?
Tufte, Edward R. 2001. The Visual Display of Quantitative Information. Vol. 2. Graphics press Cheshire, CT.