- “Visualization is surprisingly difficult. Even the most simple matters can easily go wrong” (Cleveland 1994, 12)
- Central question: Are there general criteria that we can use to evaluate graphs?
- Critera depend on various aspects, e.g., the audience
- Q: In how far does the audience differ for graphs we produce for exploration and for presentation?
- Theory of data graphics (Tufte)
- Human perception
- Important: Whatever general principles might be, you and your audience are the final judge!
Cleveland, W S. 1994. “The Elements of Graphing Data.” NJ: Hobart Press.